Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] More oshmem compile errors
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-09 09:34:52

Doing pointer math with (void*) is not defined.

For example: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.8.0/gcc/Pointer-Arith.html says that gcc allows it, but this is in the "C Extensions" part of the manual.

I suspect that the latest icc allows it by the same rationale, but it's still technically wrong.

I'm just doing a simple build like this:

  ./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc FC=ifort ...

I note that it passes with icc 14.0, but fails with 12.x.

I think (void*) pointer math should be avoided, even if modern compilers allow it.