Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] ompi_info
From: Nathan Hjelm (hjelmn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-27 13:24:43

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:57:09PM +0200, George Bosilca wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2013, at 17:57 , Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > I've now talked to both George and Nathan. Let me summarize for the web archives / community:
> >
> > 1. There are two main points of contention:
> >
> > 1a. ompi_info has a *very long-standing precedent* behavior of using <framework> MCA params to exclude the display of components (and their params). Users have come to rely on this behavior to test that OMPI is honoring their $HOME/.openmpi-mca-params.conf file (for example) because -- at least prior to new ompi_info -- there was no other way to verify that.
> >
> > 1b. It seems meaningless for MPI_T_Init to open *all* components when we're just going to be exposing a bunch of components/parameters that will not be used. Easy example: MPI_T_Init will open all the PMLs, but we'll only end up using one of them. Why have all the rest?
>
> Any progress on this?

There was until a bad puppet script wiped out all my data on my work
computer. I will work on it today and should have something ready to
push tomorrow.

To summarize what will be done:

1) --all without a --level will assume --level 9
2) Either a) add an option to ompi_info to suppress registering all
components when a component selection parameter is set (ie. --mca btl
self,sm) or b) somehow mark the parameters of unused components as such.

1 and 2a are easy. 2b is a little harder.

-Nathan