Subject: [OMPI devel] glibc malloc hooks going away
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-10 10:23:45

If you saw Mellanox's commit this morning, you noticed a comment about how the glibc malloc hooks are deprecated. I pinged Mike D. about this off-list, and he sent me the following reference from the glibc 2.14 release notes at http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2011-05/msg00103.html:

    * The malloc hook implementation is marked deprecated and will be removed
      from the default implementation in the next version. The design never
      worked ever since the introduction of threads. Even programs which do
      not create threads themselves can use multiple threads created internally.

Yoinks.

The OpenFabrics community had better come up with something to replace the glibc malloc hooks implementation fairly soon... (e.g., push ummunotify upstream, or push something else -- Mellanox is currently arguing that On Demand Paging will obviate the need for something like ummunotify; see the linux-rdma mailing list for an ongoing discussion about this exact topic)