Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: RFC: Python-generated Fortran wrappers
From: Barrett, Brian W (bwbarre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-22 13:47:17

On 5/22/13 9:35 AM, "Ralph Castain" <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>* this isn't about Craig and his abilities - this is a more general
>requirements discussion. I personally wouldn't change my comments if it
>was Jeff or Brian making the request - the issue remains the same.
>Introducing another language requirement on the
> user-level build isn't a minor issue. Just because someone knows a
>language seems a weak argument - I had to learn perl to work on the build
>system too. The differences aren't that huge, and the barrier isn't that

What Ralph said. My objections are largely to introducing another
language dependency (we should strive to keep these as small in number as
possible). As I said, I'm strongly against using Python in the build
system (unless we replace all Perl with Python, which I doubt anyone wants
to deal with). I have a slight preference for not using non-Bourne Shell
things in the configure / make stages, but that's not anywhere near as
strong as the dislike of adding new languages to support in the build

  Brian W. Barrett
  Scalable System Software Group
  Sandia National Laboratories