Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Python-generated Fortran wrappers
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-22 09:50:54

On May 22, 2013, at 6:37 AM, "Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)" <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On May 22, 2013, at 9:18 AM, Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I have no issues other than wondering why we don't do it in perl given that we already do all non-shell actions in perl - is it necessary to intro another language?
>
> Because Craig is writing it and he (strongly) prefers Python. That's really the main (only?) reason.

Hmmm...the issue is that perl usually is included in the distro, but python often is not - you have to add that module. IIRC, that was the rationale for allowing perl. Others (e.g., me) had played with using python before, but switched to perl (a) for the prior rationale, and (b) to avoid proliferating language requirements.

I happen to like python myself, but believe there is some value in avoiding adding yet another language to our list of requirements.