Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: dead code removal
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-15 20:24:48

WHAT: Remove a bunch of "set but not used" variables / dead code

WHY: Because it's dead code

WHERE: All over, but NOT the BTL ALLOC macros (per prior argu^H^H^H^Hdiscussion)

WHEN: Tomorrow (16 May 2013), COB

More detail:

gcc 4.7.x squawks a lot about "set but unused" variables. I took a sweep through and removed a bunch of them -- they're all obviously dead code.

I did *not*, however, remove the setting of rc in the various BTL/OOB ALLOC_FRAG macros, per prior disagreements in emails about this. Perhaps someone else will find a compromise for that someday -- this patch is not about fixing those warnings. This patch is only about removing the obvious set-but-really-never-used variables.

Short timeout because this is actually pretty trivial, but it does touch other people's code, so I wanted people to see it / get a heads-up before I committed. Patch attached.