Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Any plans to support Intel MIC (Xeon Phi) in Open-MPI?
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-02 20:54:51

Ralph,

I am not an expert, by any means, but based on a presentation I heard 4
hours ago:

The Xeon and Phi instruction sets have a large intersection, but neither is
a subset of the other.
In particular, Phi has its own SIMD instructions *instead* of Xeon's MMX,
SSEn, etc.
There is also on CMPXCHG16B instruction on Phi, among others.
So, there will need to be different binaries, or "fat" binaries that branch
based on CPU type.

-Paul

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On May 2, 2013, at 5:12 PM, Christopher Samuel <samuel_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:

Future Technologies Group