Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Choosing an Open-MPI release for a new cluster
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-02 13:30:50

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
<jsquyres_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Given that we know there are compile bugs with XRC in all the v1.7
> releases so far (which seems to show how few people are actually using
> XRC...), there are definitely "growing pains", as Ralph mentioned.

Jeff may be a little too harsh here.
The XRC compilation problems only show up if one configures with some
non-default options (--enable-static or --disable-dlopen).

My recommendation is to install 1.6 and 1.7 (and eventually 1.8).
If you don't think you have the resources, then consider...

I am a user on a system (also iDataPlex, but that is irrelevant) that has
stuck with Open MPI 1.4.x since it was deployed.
Since the admins have never installed a 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7 version, we instead
have MULTIPLE user-built copies of Open MPI on the system, with potentially
different configuration options and, of course, in "random" locations
within /home. Our admins want "stable" and the users want "speed" and/or
"features". Keeping both happy requires more than one version be installed.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group