Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Using external libevent
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-01 22:39:24

On May 1, 2013, at 7:32 PM, Orion Poplawski <orion_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 04/29/2013 11:04 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it. I get to at least wait until the non-threaded version of libevent is available.
>>
>> I hate to see someone suffer, so I went ahead and added the external libevent connection this morning. Not trivial, but it seems to work. It is in our developer's trunk if you want to test it. As Jeff has said, we would prefer you not do this until the 1.9 series is released, and we won't be porting this change to the 1.7 series anyway.
>>
>> Just put it in so we can begin the investigation, and we always appreciate input and help in exploring the impacts!
>> Ralph
>
> Great! I'll try to take a look at next week.

You might wait a bit - Jeff is working on corner cases for it, so things will likely change. I'm not sure when he expects to finish.

> I noticed another message about using a threaded libevent after all on the devel list. What is the status of that? Do we still need to produce a non-threaded libevent in Fedora?

I would hold off. I've been running some tests, and it looks to me like it punishes TCP messaging, but not too much (around 1%). Can't vouch that there won't be other problems, but it may prove to be okay. Let's see what happens once Jeff completes his work.