Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Using external libevent
From: Orion Poplawski (orion_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-17 15:26:44

On 04/17/2013 12:38 PM, Paul Hargrove wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Orion Poplawski <orion_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:orion_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> So, would you be willing to provide more of the rationale as to why
> libevent is bundled?
>

> Orion,
>
> I am NOT an Open MPI developer myself. So please don't take my response as
> speaking for the community.
>
> I found the following file useful in understanding WHY libevent is currently
> bundled in Open MPI:
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/source/xref/ompi-trunk/opal/mca/event/base/README.openmpi
>
> -Paul

Thanks, that was helpful. From what I read there, it does not appear that
libevent is not being modified in a meaningful way as it would apply to
Fedora. In Fedora, all applications would be built against the same libevent,
so that should not be an issue. And assuming that the Fedora libevent
properly detects kqueue and epoll (if applicable) that should be okay. Also,
have this improvements been submitted back to libevent?

Finally, while openmpi may not need to make use of the dns, http, and rpc
events, would it be problematic if they were present in the library?

So other than openmpi expecting to work with a specific version of libevent,
I'm not seeing compelling reason why bundling is necessary (at least for
Fedora packaging). If there is, please let me know.

Thanks!

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion_at_[hidden]