Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Remove windows support
From: marco atzeri (marco.atzeri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-18 11:42:40

On 2/18/2013 5:10 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> WHAT: Remove all Windows code from the trunk.
>
> WHY: This issue keeps coming up over and over and over...

[cut]
> 2. Remove all Windows code. This involves some wholesale removing of components as well as a bunch of #if code throughout the code base.
>
> ==> Removing this code can probably be done in multiple SVN commits:
>
> 2a. Removing Windows-only components (which, given the rate of change that we are planning for the trunk, may well need to be re-written if they are ever re-introduced into the tree).

Cygwin does not use them. I'm currently building the trunk packages with

--enable-mca-no-build=paffinity,installdirs-windows,timer-windows,shmem-sysv,if-windows,shmem-windows

to specifically exclude them

> 2b. Removing "#if WINDOWS" code (e.g., in opal/util/*, etc.). This code may not be changing as much as the rest of the trunk, and may be suitable for svn reverting someday.
>
> This does kill Cygwin support, too. I realize we have a downstream packager for Cygwin, but the fact that we can't get any developer support for Windows -- despite multiple appeals -- seems to imply that the Windows Open MPI audience is very, very small. So while it feels a bit sad to kill it, it may still be the Right Thing to do.

I assume it is __WINDOWS__
That is not defined on cygwin, so the build should survive

> This is a proposal, and is open for discussion.

Regards
Marco