Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Remove (broken) heterogeneous support
From: Andreas Schäfer (gentryx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-30 09:40:33

On 14:36 Wed 30 Jan , Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Siegmar Gross <Siegmar.Gross_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > HiI have no problem with the option --enable-heterogeneous, when I build
> > Open MPI, but Open MPI will not work in a heterogeneous environment
> > with little and big endian machines,
>
> Right -- that's the issue: --enable-heterogeneous is broken (and has been for a long time). No one has stepped up to fix it, so we might as well disable the option so that users don't think that we support it.

But isn't heterogeneity the main reason for having MPI datatypes in
the first place? Otherwise I could always use MPI_CHAR and sizeof(Foo).

> > while LAM MPI can handle such
> > environments. You wanted to solve this problem.
> >
> > https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/3430
>
> Understood. But the reality is that this is a very uncommon feature, and we apparently don't have the resources to fix it. :-\

Could you give a rough estimate on how much effort this would be?

Best
-Andreas

Andreas Schäfer
HPC and Grid Computing
Chair of Computer Science 3
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
+49 9131 85-27910
PGP/GPG key via keyserver
http://www.libgeodecomp.org
(\___/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination!