Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Remove (broken) heterogeneous support
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-30 09:36:23

On Jan 30, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Siegmar Gross <Siegmar.Gross_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> HiI have no problem with the option --enable-heterogeneous, when I build
> Open MPI, but Open MPI will not work in a heterogeneous environment
> with little and big endian machines,

Right -- that's the issue: --enable-heterogeneous is broken (and has been for a long time). No one has stepped up to fix it, so we might as well disable the option so that users don't think that we support it.

> while LAM MPI can handle such
> environments. You wanted to solve this problem.
>
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/3430

Understood. But the reality is that this is a very uncommon feature, and we apparently don't have the resources to fix it. :-\