Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Remove (broken) heterogeneous support
From: Siegmar Gross (Siegmar.Gross_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-30 07:36:00

Hi

> WHAT: Remove the configure command line option to enable heterogeneous
> support
>
> WHY: The heterogeneous conversion code isn't working, very few people
> use this feature
>
> WHERE: README and config/opal_configure_options.m4. See attached patch.
>
> TIMEOUT: Next Tuesday teleconf, 5 Feb, 2013
>
> MORE DETAIL:
>
> The heterogeneous code has been broken for a while. The assumption
> is that this is a minor bug that can fairly easily be fixed, but a)
> no one has taken the time to do so, b) very few people use this
> functionality, and c) many OMPI developers don't even have hardware
> where to test this scenario (e.g., big and little endian systems).
>
> As such, a suggestion was made to remove the --enable-heterogeneous
> configure CLI switch so that users don't try to enable it. It
> someone ever fixes the heterogeneous code, the configure CLI switch
> can be put back.

I have no problem with the option --enable-heterogeneous, when I build
Open MPI, but Open MPI will not work in a heterogeneous environment
with little and big endian machines, while LAM MPI can handle such
environments. You wanted to solve this problem.

I would appreciate if you wouldn't remove this option.

Kind regards

Siegmar