Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] New ARM patch
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-25 19:05:06

On Jan 25, 2013, at 7:28 AM, Leif Lindholm <Leif.Lindholm_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Mmm. Ok. So is this a correct list of what is supported right now (i.e., in v1.6 with your patch)
>> ARM4: no
>> ARM5: no
>> ARM6: sorta (not multi-core, or anywhere we would need barriers)
>> ARM7: yes
>
> Correct, that is what is supported with out-of-line assembler functions
> - i.e. when explicitly building with -DOMPI_DISABLE_INLINE_ASM.
> They are all supported (and correctly using barriers) otherwise.

Here's what I have done:

1. Committed your patch to v1.6. George's patch was not committed to v1.6.

2. I opened https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/3481 to track your proposal of re-implementing/revamping the ARM ASM code.

Do you have a timeline for when that can be done?

3. Since no one is currently MTT testing Open MPI on ARM, I added the following statement in the v1.6 README file under "Other systems have been lightly (but not fully tested):"

  - ARM4, ARM5, ARM6, ARM7 (when using non-inline assembly; only ARM7
    is fully supported when -DOMPI_DISABLE_INLINE_ASM is used).

--> Is this correct?

--> Do you think you'll be able to setup some MTT on ARM platforms?

4. I also added the following to v1.6 NEWS:

- Automatically provide compiler flags that compile properly on some
  types of ARM systems.