Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: deprecating the MPI C++ bindings
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-12 16:49:33

WHAT: Stop building the MPI C++ bindings by default for v1.9

WHY: The MPI-3.0 spec removed the MPI C++ bindings

WHERE: flip the switch in configure (on the trunk)

WHEN: January, 2013

MORE DETAIL:

The MPI-3.0 spec removed the MPI C++ bindings, but allow implementations to continue providing them if they want to. We might as well start the long, slow process of getting rid of the MPI C++ bindings.

We discussed last week in the developer's meeting about flipping the default in configure such that it won't build the MPI C++ bindings by default starting with Open MPI v1.9. This can be done on the trunk in January, 2013.

We can discuss the removal of the C++ bindings at some future date (beyond v1.9/v2.0).