Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Enable thread support by default
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-08 21:59:49

WHAT: Enable both OPAL and libevent thread support by default

WHY: We need to support threaded operations for MPI-3, and for MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE.
                 Enabling thread support by default is the only way to ensure we fix all the problems.

WHEN: COB, Thurs Dec 13

This was a decision reached at the OMPI Developers meeting, so the RFC is mostly just a "heads up" to everyone that this will happen. We spent some time recently profiling the impact on performance and found it to be significant: 100ns in shared memory latency, and a similar number to TCP message latency. However, without setting the support "on" by default, we will never address those problems. Thus, the group decided that we would enable support by default and being a concerted effort to reduce and/or remove the performance impact.