Subject: [OMPI devel] C99 in wrapper compilers?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-20 10:04:22

While at SC, Brian, Ralph, Nathan and I had long conversations about C99. We decided:

- all compilers that we care about seem to support C99
- so let's move the trunk and v1.7 to *require* C99 and see if anyone screams
  --> we're NOT doing this in v1.6
- mind you: we're not (yet) adding any C99 code to OMPI yet; we're just requiring a C99 compiler via configure

This morning, I noticed that the trunk wrapper compilers are now adding C99 flags (it did so with gcc and icc, but not pgcc -- perhaps because pgcc doesn't need any flags to force C99 mode...?). That does not seem like a good idea -- we certainly don't want to force user apps to be adhere to C99.

This happens on the trunk; not yet with v1.7. Nathan just confirmed to me that the C99 configure macro hasn't yet been ported over the v1.7.

My $0.02: making sure the wrapper compilers don't slurp in c99 flags should be fixed before bringing to v1.7.