Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Compile-time MPI_Datatype checking
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-19 11:51:22

On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Dmitri Gribenko wrote:

>> 3. the warnings are disabled for buffer types of (char*) or (void*)
>
> I think that disabling warnings for char* might make sense. But
> during the LLVM developer meeting I talked with Hal Finkel (MPICH2
> developer) about this. These annotations are already integrated into
> MPICH2. Hal said that he found real bugs with these warnings
> involving char* buffers.
>
> Is it really not an option for the codebase in question to build with
> -D... or -Wno-...?

It is pedantic, but I can still side with: it's valid MPI (and those who do it usually do it for a reason), so we shouldn't warn about it.

How about a phased implementation:

3a. Have an option to *also* warn about (char*) mismatches?
3b. Over time (perhaps in coordination with MPICH?), and polling once this initial implementation has been out in the world for a while: if user want, we can change the default to warn about (char*) mismatches by default