Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Compile-time MPI_Datatype checking
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-19 11:35:24

(SC is now over, and, aside from the US holiday later this week, I'm picking up the items that I've let fall on the floor for the past 1-2 months...)

On Oct 31, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:

> That said, if we didn't throw a warning if the pointer is of type void* or
> char*, I think I'd be mostly ok with the patch being on by default. I'm
> not sure if that's possible or not...

This might be a good compromise. How about the following (assuming this all only happens for compilers that support this stuff, which, at the moment, will be clang version >= X.Y.Z, for some values of X, Y, and Z):

1. the warnings are enabled by default in mpi.h
2. the warnings can be disabled by a magic -D (e.g., -DDISABLE_MPI_TYPE_CHECKING or whatever -- the -Wno-type-safety option sounds scary; does it really disable *ALL* type safety?)
3. the warnings are disabled for buffer types of (char*) or (void*)

Howzat?