Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] MPI_Bcast
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-19 07:13:31

+1 on what George says.

In general, the only MPI collective operation that *forces* an explicit, global synchronization is MPI_Barrier. Specifically: no process can exit the barrier until all processes have entered the barrier.

In you example (MPI_Bcast), none of the non-root processes can exit the bcast before the root enters the bcast. This is a much weaker synchronization than barrier.