Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: fix frameworks usage of opal_output
From: Nathan Hjelm (hjelmn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-01 16:18:54

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 04:07:32PM -0400, George Bosilca wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> Here is a quick question regarding the topi framework.
>
> - The mca_topo_base_output is opened unconditionally in topo_base_open.c:62
>
> - with your patch, mca_topo_base_output is closed conditionally in topo_base_close.c:46, but only in case mca_topo_base_components_opened_valid and mca_topo_base_components_available_valid are NULL. However, mca_topo_base_output is set to -1 in all cases right after.
>
> Why is that so?

mca_base_components_close closes the output if the third argument is NULL. So in this case calling opal_output_close after mca_base_components_close will result in a second call to opal_output_close.

> In fact I think the mca_topo_base_close is entirely wrong. It should close all mca_topo_base_components_opened_valid component, then all mca_topo_base_components_available_valid components and then close the mca_topo_base_output and set it to -1.

I looked into this as well. The select function for topo OBJ_DESTRUCTs mca_topo_base_components_opened and sets mca_topo_base_components_opened_valid to false. So if mca_topo_base_components_opened_valid is false it isn't safe to call mca_base_components_close. It is a little confusing and I don't know why the author if topo decided to do it that way.

-Nathan Hjelm
HPC-3, LANL