Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Compile-time MPI_Datatype checking
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-31 15:39:58

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Paul Hargrove <phhargrove_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Ralph,
> >
> > I work at a National Lab, and like many of my peers I develop/prototype
> > codes on my desktop and/or laptop. So, I think the default behavior of
> > mpicc on a Clang-based Mac is entirely relevant.
> >
> > FWIW:
> > I agree w/ Jeff that these datatype checking warnings "feel" like a
> > candidate for "-Wall" (or "-Wextra"), rather than enabled by default.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Is there any particular case you are concerned about?
>
> Dmitri

Dmitri,

No, I don't have specific usage cases that concern me.

As I said a minute or two ago in a reply to Ralph, my concern is that the
Sandia codes provide an "existence proof" that "really smart people" can
write questionable code at times. So, I fear that a larger-than-expected
fraction of real codes would generate warnings.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group