Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Remove deprecated functions from mca_base_param
From: Nathan Hjelm (hjelmn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-11 12:59:38

What: Remove deprecated functions. This includes removing ocl_mca_type_name and ocl_mca_component_name from opal_cmd_line_init_t and removing the following functions from mca_base_param.[ch]:
 mca_base_param_register_int
 mca_base_param_register_string
 mca_base_param_environ_variable

Additionally, I updated all uses of these functions to their modern equivalents. If your component/framework uses any of the above functions please take a look at the patch and let me know if you see any problems the changes.

When: 8am EST October 15, 2012

Why: I am in the process of cleaning up the mca system in preparation for adding support for the MPI-3.0 tools interface. Jeff and I discussed this in detail and agreed the changes to mca should be done in phases. This RFC represents phase 0.

The removed functions were marked as deprecated in r14072 about 6 years ago. I think we can all agree that is long enough to warn developers.

This will be CMRd to 1.7.

-Nathan Hjelm
HPC-3, LANL