Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.6.2rc2: opal_path_nfs failure for "bind" mount
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-11 15:50:26

I am NOT running on BG/Q.
I am just building for Linux/PPC64 on its front-end node which has very
recent XLC versions installed.

I did look quickly just now at the opal_path_nfs.c test code and see that
get_mounts() will require non-trivial work to process bind-mounts. The
work is "just a matter of coding", but is beyond the scope of what I can
contribute right now. I can test as needed, though anybody w/ root on a
Linux box and an NFS filesystem should be able to reproduce the problem,

-Paul [who probably could have avoided confusion by not mentioning BG/Q in
the first place]

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Interesting - I can certainly fix the test so it lets make check complete.
>
> FWIW: I didn't know we were running on BG/Q - does it work? I assume this
> is with slurm?
>
> On Sep 11, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Paul Hargrove <phhargrove_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> In testing 1.6.2rc2 on a BG/Q front-end I've encountered the following
> failure from "make check":
>
> Failure : Mismatch: input "/soft", expected:0 got:1
>> SUPPORT: OMPI Test failed: opal_path_nfs() (1 of 20 failed)
>> FAIL: opal_path_nfs
>

> What I find digging deeper is that the mount of /soft is a bit unusual (at
> least to me):
>
> $ grep /soft /etc/fstab
>> /gpfs/vesta_scratch/software /soft none _netdev,bind 0 0
>> $ mount | grep /soft
>> /gpfs/vesta_scratch/software on /soft type none (rw,bind,_netdev)
>> $ grep /soft /proc/mounts
>> /dev/vesta_scratch /soft gpfs rw,relatime 0 0
>

> Looking into the mount man page I find that the "_netdev" is NOT a
> problem, just an keyword used to identify mounts that require network
> access to implement " -O no_netdev" in mount.
> The "problem" that opal_path_nfs is encountering is that this is a "bind"
> mount which makes an already mounted fs (or subtree of one) available at a
> second location.
>
> If I am understanding "expected:0 got:1" correctly this failure shows that
> the TEST is getting this case (bind-mount of GPFS fs) incorrect.
> So, this is a BENIGN failure, but distracting (and preventing "make check"
> from completing).
>
> -Paul

> Future Technologies Group
> Computer and Data Sciences Department Tel: +1-510-495-2352

Future Technologies Group