Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] OpenIB compile error
From: TERRY DONTJE (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-22 23:26:10

On 6/22/2012 3:36 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> To update everyone: there was much more discussion about this off-list. :-)
>
> We decided to do the following:
>
> 1. The name --with-verbs seems better than --with-openfabrics, if for no other reason than the name "openfabrics" encompasses more things than we intend with this name (e.g., udapl, psm, etc.).
>
> 2. There is a definite problem that needs to be fixed, but it is only partially related to the renaming. Basically: the proposed option renaming is occurring opportunistically with this bug fix.
>
> 3. We are *not* renaming the openib BTL at this time. It would be great if someone would do this in the future, hint hint!
>
> 4. The behavior of --with[out]-verbs is as was described in a prior mail:
> - if --with-verbs is specified, all 3 verbs-based components must succeed
> - if --without-verbs is specified, all 4 verbs-based components will not build
> - if --with-verbs=DIR is specified, all 3 verbs-based components must succeed and will use DIR to find verbs headers and libraries
What does it mean that "all 3 verbs-based components must succeed"?
Does that mean you cannot specify --with-verbs=DIR --with-openib
--without-ofud?
Does it mean that if you specify --with-verbs=DIR and some other
dependency is not found for openib btl that the configure fails?
What is the 4th verbs-based component this is not built when one
specifies --without-verbs.

--td
> 5. The new collectives / non-blocking collectives will likely revise some more configury in this area when it comes in mid/late next week, because a bunch of verbs stuff moved out of the openib BTL and into common. Pasha and I will revisit this when all that stuff is merged in next week.
>
> 6. I'll be committing the current --with-verbs stuff right now in order to fix the bug that Brian is running in to.
>

> On Jun 21, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
>> On Jun 21, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Shamis, Pavel wrote:
>>
>>> About naming - I would agree with Terry, it makes sense to name it after network API used for this btl - "verbs" (it is not obverts).
>> I don't think that "verbs" is terrible, but I think that "openfabrics" has more user-level recognition.
>>
>> For example, if you ask a customer what kind of network stack they have installed on their machine, they'll say "I have OFED installed". They won't say "I have the verbs stack installed."
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> jsquyres_at_[hidden]

Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803