Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] configure check for Fortran and threads
From: Jeffrey Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-23 11:19:21

On Apr 21, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Eugene Loh wrote:

> Another probably-Fortran-merge problem. Three issues in this e-mail.

Thanks for digging in to these!

> #1) Isn't there supposed to be some diplomatic message about trying to use openib without threads?
>
> Woke up on the wrong side of bed, did we? Checking config.log:
>
> "conftest.c", line 30: void function cannot return value
> [...]
> void pthreadtest(void)
> { return pthreadtest_f(); }
> [...]
> void pthreadtest_(void)
> { return pthreadtest_f(); }

Oops; ya, definitely my fault (when converting some Fortran configury...). Fix coming in the immediate future.

> #2) Okay, yes, we shouldn't be trying to return values from void functions.
>
> Same for the other checks (-pthread, -pthreads, -mt, etc.). But, something else strikes me as funny about those other checks. Here is more from config.log:
>
> configure:58698: checking if Fortran compiler and POSIX threads work with -Kthread
> configure:58768: cc -DNDEBUG -m32 -xO5 -mt -I. -c conftest.c

Yoinks -- where's the flag to test with (-Kthread and friends)? Looks like that got lost, too. :-(

Terry did some basic testing of the Fortran tree for me, but nothing comprehensive like this -- sorry for missing these. :-(

I see the issue and have a fix. Might need to iterate with you/Terry once or twice to catch everything, though. Commit coming shortly.