Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] New MOSIX components draft
From: Alex Margolin (alex.margolin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-31 15:57:53

MOSIX works as a sandbox, wrapping the executed process. Suppose I run
with "-n 3": three processes will be launched via MOSIX on nodes A, B
and C. MOSIX can choose to "migrate" process #2 from B to D - this will
not restart the process, nor will the process know about it's current
location unless it "asks" by reading /proc/mosix/mosip for example. The
process will run on D (and consume CPU and memory on D), but it'll think
it's still on B and most system-calls will still be executed on B. This
is, of course, better for CPU-intensive apps then i/o-intensive ones...
Since MPI would qualify as "communication-intensive", I've prepared a
special BTL component for it. You don't have to use the BTL to run with
MOSIX - ODLS is enough, but it'll give you reduced communication
performance. MPI runs as usual (with the slight performance penalty) -
no processes added/removed so no re-wiring...

I'll be happy to elaborate if you're interested.