Subject: [OMPI devel] Problem with the openmpi-default-hostfile (on the trunk)
From: pascal.deveze_at_[hidden]
Date: 2012-02-27 07:57:35

Hi all,

I have problems with the openmpi-default-hostfile since the following
patch on the trunk

changeset: 19874:088fc6c84a9f
user: rhc
date: Wed Feb 01 17:40:44 2012 +0000
summary: In accordance with prior releases, we are supposed to default
to looking at the openmpi-default-hostfile as a default hostfile. Restore
that behavior, but ignore the file if it is empty. Allow the user to
ignore any MCA param setting pointing to a default hostfile by setting the
param to "none" (via cmd line or whatever) - this allows them to override
a setting in the system default MCA param file.

According to the summary of this patch, the openmpi-default-hostfile is
ignored if it is empty.
But, when I run my jobs with slurm + mpirun, I get the following message:
No nodes are available for this job, either due to a failure to
allocate nodes to the job, or allocated nodes being marked
as unavailable (e.g., down, rebooting, or a process attempting
to be relocated to another node when none are available).

I am able to run my job if:
 - either I put my node(s) in the file etc/openmpi-default-hostfile
 - or use "-mca orte_default_hostfile=none" in the mpirun command line
 - or "export OMPI_MCA_orte_default_hostfile none" in my environment

It appears that an empty openmpi-default-hostfile is not ignored. This
patch seems not be complete

 Or do I misunderstand something ?

Pascal Devèze