Subject: [OMPI devel] Odd build breakage seen with 1.5.5rc2
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-26 01:27:26

Am I the only one seeing the following odd behavior when running configure?

[...]
> *** GNU libltdl setup
> checking location of libltdl... internal copy
> configure: OMPI configuring in opal/libltdl
> [....]
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating config.h
> config.status: executing depfiles commands
> config.status: executing libtool commands
> configure: /bin/sh '[srcdir]/opal/libltdl/configure' succeeded for
> opal/libltdl
> grep: [srcdir]/opal/libltdl/Makefile: No such file or directory
> checking for libtool-supplied linker flags... ACLOCAL='${SHELL}
> [srcir]/config/missing --run aclocal-1.11'
> AMDEPBACKSLASH='\'
> AMDEP_FALSE='#'
> AMDEP_TRUE=
> AMTAR='$${TAR-tar}'
> [...dump of every shell variable, as from running "set"...]
> dummy mt
> *** Compiler flags
> checking which of CFLAGS are ok for debugger modules... -DNDEBUG
> -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread
> checking for debugger extra CFLAGS... -g

*** Wrapper compiler final setup
> checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> checking for OPAL CPPFLAGS...
> checking for OPAL CFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for OPAL CXXFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for OPAL LDFLAGS...
> checking for OPAL LIBS... -ldl -lm dummy mt
> checking for OPAL extra include dirs...
> checking for ORTE CPPFLAGS...
> checking for ORTE CXXFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for ORTE CFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for ORTE LDFLAGS...
> checking for ORTE LIBS... -ldl -lm dummy mt
> checking for ORTE extra include dirs...
> checking for OMPI CPPFLAGS...
> checking for OMPI CFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for OMPI CXXFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for OMPI FFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for OMPI FCFLAGS... -pthread
> checking for OMPI LDFLAGS...
> checking for OMPI LIBS... -ldl -lm dummy mt
> checking for OMPI extra include dirs...
> *** Final output
> [....]

The presence of "dummy mt" in the LIBS vars renders the resulting wrapper
compilers unusable.

This is a VPATH (blddir != srcdir) build and it appears that something is
looking for a Makefile in [srcdir]/opal/libltdl when it almost certainly
should be looking in [blddir]/opal/libltdl.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group