Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] v1.5 build failure w/ Solaris Studio 12.2 on Linux
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-22 15:16:23

I think I have the beginning of a fix for this issue.

I had not even noticed earlier that the error in event.h is from the C++
compiler, when compiling file.cxx in the c++ bindings. That makes the
vendor-specific addition of "-library=stlport4" to CXXFLAGS quite
relevant to the problem/solution.

It eventually occurred to me that when VT's sub-configure told me to add
configure arguments, I could have used --with-contrib-vt-flags to pass
that ONLY to VT and perhaps NOT mess with whatever karma was providing
the definition of u_char. However, when I tried that I was disappointed
to find that the bit of configure logic that suggests/requires
CXXFLAGS=-library=stlport4 (from ompi/contrib/vt/configure.m4) runs
BEFORE the processing of --with-contrib-vt-flags. So, that was a dead end.

So, the next idea was to look for a fix specific to sltport. I tried
adding near the top of opal/event/event.h (after the WINDOWS equivalent):
> #ifdef STLPORT
> typedef unsigned char u_char;
> #endif

That managed to clear up the original problem w/ SS12.2.
With SS12.3, things also built fine.
This suggests the typedef is not "conflicting" with whatever other defn
was present.
I think the "safety" of this needs to be examined more widely before
this can be adopted.
My concern is that some system could "typedef char u_char" if it has
char unsigned by default, leading to a conflict.
Now that would, I suppose, only be a problem if STLPORT is also defined.
So, maybe I am over thinking this.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group