Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] v1.5 r25914 DOA
From: Eugene Loh (eugene.loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-22 14:24:07

On 2/22/2012 11:08 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:
>> Le 22/02/2012 17:48, Ralph Castain a écrit :
>>> On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Eugene Loh wrote

>>> Unfortunately, just artificially setting the num_sockets to 1 won't solve much - you'll get past that point in the code, but attempts to bind are likely to fail down the road. Fixing it will require some significant effort.
>>>
>>> Given we haven't heard reports of this before, I'm not convinced it is a widespread problem.
I assume we don't see the problem as widespread because it was only
introduced into v1.5 in r25914. In my mind, the real question is how
common it is for hwloc to decide numsockets==0. On that one, Brice
asserts it "isn't really uncommon."
>>> For now, let's just use the mca param and see what happens.
>> I am probably missing something but: Why would setting num_sockets to 1
>> work fine as a mca param, while artificially setting it as said above
>> wouldn't ?
> Because the param means that it isn't hardwired into the code base. I want to first verify that artificially forcing num_sockets to 1 doesn't break the code down the road, so the less change to find out, the better.
That sounds a lot different to me than the earlier statement. Thanks
for asking that question, Brice. Anyhow, I tried using "--mca
orte_num_sockets 1" and that seems to allow basic programs to run.