Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] v1.5 build failure w/ Solaris Studio 12.2 on Linux
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-22 02:10:36

More notes:

I've tested ompi-1.5.4 and it has the same problem. So, this is NOT a
regression.

Terry D. has observed that Ubuntu is NOT a supported platform for the
Solaris Studio compilers.
So, I've reproduced on a Scientific Linux 5.5 platform (Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5.5 clone, like CentOS) to be sure that was NOT the cause.

When I configure for the SS12.x compilers, I've been passing
CXXFLAGS="-library=stlport4" as the VT sub-configure has informed me I
should, due to something wrong the the default STL. I tried dropping
that from configure, and THE BUILD WAS SUCCESSFUL.

So, one has 2 choices:
+ build w/ SS12.2 without VT
+ update to SS12.3 and have VT

I don't think there is sufficient reason to delay 1.5.5 for this.

-Paul

On 2/21/2012 4:39 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
> A few things to note:
>
> 1) This is NOT a problem w/ the SS12.3 compilers on the same machine.
> So, one could say "upgrade your compiler" (a free download) and not
> delay 1.5.5 for this issue.
>
> 2) This is ONLY a problem on Linux, and not on Solaris (both SS12.2
> and SS12.3 tested for x86, x86-64, Sparc/v9 and Sparc/v8plus)
>
> 3) Testing the trunk I DON'T see the problem with either SS12.2 or
> SS12.3.
> This is interesting, because it probably means that a u_char
> definition is SOMEWHERE in the headers (because libevent *is* getting
> built).
>
> Whatever else may be done, I think this should be fixed "properly"
> (whatever that may equate to) for 1.6.
> The way I see it now, it feels like OMPI is getting a definition of
> u_char only "by accident".
>
> -Paul
>
> On 2/21/2012 12:16 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
>> Building the v1.5 branch on Linux with the Solaris Studio 12.2
>> compilers I see the following failure:
>>> "[srcdir]/opal/event/event.h", line 797: Error: Type name expected
>>> instead of "u_char".
>>> "[srcdir]/opal/event/event.h", line 798: Error: Type name expected
>>> instead of "u_char".
>>> "[srcdir]/opal/event/event.h", line 1184: Error: "," expected
>>> instead of "*".
>> Where line 1184 is a prototype containing "u_char *".
>>
>> As far as I can find, only several files below opal/event/ contain
>> any use of "u_char".
>> There is a typedef for u_char in hwloc, but no use that I could see.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge u_char is NOT defined by any standard,
>> and thus there is no particular header one can reliably find it in.
>> The alternatives, of course are "unsigned char" or "uint8_t" (defined
>> in stdint.h).
>>
>> I had a look at the trunk and VISUALLY is appears the same problem
>> exists in:
>> opal/event/event.h
>> opal/mca/event/libevent2013/libevent/event.h
>> However, my testing is currently confined to the v1.5 branch in the
>> hopes of finally getting the next 1.5.5rc out the door.
>>
>> -Paul

Future Technologies Group