Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] non-portable code in examples/Makefile
From: Jeffrey Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-21 06:47:21

On Feb 21, 2012, at 6:39 AM, TERRY DONTJE wrote:

>> Heads up that in the upcoming fortran revamp, we *only* use FC. I.E., there's only mpifort wrapper compiler (mpif77 and mpif90 still exist, but only as sym links to mpifort, signifying that mpifort is the way of the future).
>>
>> This was done because there have been no f77 compilers for decades (literally), and no f90 compilers for 10+ years. All the fortran compiler vendors have long-since moved to a single compiler executable name (e.g., ifort, gfortran), so mpifort just reflects that.
>>
> Hmmm, well Oracle's compiler is still named f90 :-). (now to duck and cover)

Yes, multiple vendors still have <foo>f90 (and/or <foo>f77)-named compilers. But these are just multiple entry points to a common back end, usually for legacy reasons (just like we'll still have mpif90 and mpif77).

Another fun fact: MPI-1 was never compliant with Fortran 77. The most obvious/easiest point to cite is that F77 only allowed 6-character variable and subroutine names. :-)