Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] non-portable code in examples/Makefile
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-21 03:20:45

And while we are looking at examples/Makefile on Solaris-10, why are the
F77 examples getting built w/ mpif90?
Because w/ the Solaris make setting FC also silently sets F77 (yes, I am
NOT kidding)!
So, reordering the F77= and FC= lines in Makefile resolves that
mis-behavior.

Attached is my patch to fix both F77/FC and the "better" ompi_info
queries mentioned in my previous post.
This REPLACES the patch in the previous post.

-Paul

On 2/20/2012 11:36 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
> The addition on Monday of the Java cases to examples/Makefile has
> shown that the default "make" in Solaris-10 will stop on the first
> failed grep command in the "all" rule:
>> $ make
>> mpicc -g -o hello_c hello_c.c
>> mpicc -g -o ring_c ring_c.c
>> mpicc -g -o connectivity_c connectivity_c.c
>> mpic++ -g -o hello_cxx hello_cxx.cc
>> mpic++ -g -o ring_cxx ring_cxx.cc
>> mpif90 -g hello_f77.f -o hello_f77
>> mpif90 -g ring_f77.f -o ring_f77
>> mpif90 -g hello_f90.f90 -o hello_f90
>> mpif90 -g ring_f90.f90 -o ring_f90
>> *** Error code 1
>> The following command caused the error:
>> if test "`ompi_info --parsable | grep bindings:java:yes`" != ""; then \
>> make Hello.class; \
>> fi
>> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>
> The addition of java did NOT break anything, but exposed a
> pre-existing problem which was not evident in my prior testing
> because all language bindings were being build prior to adding java.
>
> The attached patch resolves the problem in my (admittedly minimal)
> testing with the smallest possible change.
> However an entirely different avoids both "test" and "true" and simply
> looks like:
> @ if ompi_info --parsable | grep bindings:cxx:yes >/dev/null; then
> I have *also* tested that approach, and it works fine too.
>
> I *did* warn that the introduction of the java bindings would bring
> collateral damage.
> I just didn't anticipate encountering it personally.
>
> -Paul

Future Technologies Group