Subject: [OMPI devel] non-portable code in examples/Makefile
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-21 02:36:55

The addition on Monday of the Java cases to examples/Makefile has shown
that the default "make" in Solaris-10 will stop on the first failed grep
command in the "all" rule:
> $ make
> mpicc -g -o hello_c hello_c.c
> mpicc -g -o ring_c ring_c.c
> mpicc -g -o connectivity_c connectivity_c.c
> mpic++ -g -o hello_cxx hello_cxx.cc
> mpic++ -g -o ring_cxx ring_cxx.cc
> mpif90 -g hello_f77.f -o hello_f77
> mpif90 -g ring_f77.f -o ring_f77
> mpif90 -g hello_f90.f90 -o hello_f90
> mpif90 -g ring_f90.f90 -o ring_f90
> *** Error code 1
> The following command caused the error:
> if test "`ompi_info --parsable | grep bindings:java:yes`" != ""; then \
> make Hello.class; \
> fi
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

The addition of java did NOT break anything, but exposed a pre-existing
problem which was not evident in my prior testing because all language
bindings were being build prior to adding java.

The attached patch resolves the problem in my (admittedly minimal)
testing with the smallest possible change.
However an entirely different avoids both "test" and "true" and simply
looks like:
     @ if ompi_info --parsable | grep bindings:cxx:yes >/dev/null; then
I have *also* tested that approach, and it works fine too.

I *did* warn that the introduction of the java bindings would bring
collateral damage.
I just didn't anticipate encountering it personally.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group