Subject: [OMPI devel] More on OMPI on MacOS 10.4/ppc [WORK AROUND]
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-16 01:28:58

As I already discover (see
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2012/02/10444.php), MacOS
10.4 is NOT listed as a supported platform any longer. So, this message
is really just for the archives.

 From "man ld" on a MacOS 10.4 system (x86 or ppc):
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
> This is set to indicate the oldest Mac OS X version
> that that
> the output is to be used on. When this is set to a
> release that
> is older than the current release features that are
> incompatible
> with that release will be disabled. If a feature is
> seen in the
> input that can't be in the output due to this setting a
> warning
> is issued. The current allowable values for this are
> 10.1, 10.2
> 10.3, and 10.4 with the default being 10.4 for the
> i386 archi-
> tecture and 10.1 for all other architectures.

The last sentence of that seems like a good starting point for why the
behaviors I see on ppc and x86 differ.
So, before configuring OMPI (tarball 1.7a1r25937 or 1.5.5rc2r25933) I did
> $ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

And, everything worked!
Both branches had the previously described errors w/o this env var, but
now both work fine.

So, anybody in need of OMPI on MacOS 10.4/ppc now has a work-around.

-Paul

--
Paul H. HargrovePHHargrove_at_[hidden]
Future Technologies Group