Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Add "virbr0" to [btl|oob]_tcp_if_exclude?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 13:38:45

On Feb 10, 2012, at 1:00 PM, TERRY DONTJE wrote:

>> Should we add "virbr0" to the default value for [btl|oob]_tcp_if_exclude?
>>
> What happens to that value if you then set btl_tcp_if_exclude to some value on the mpirun command line?

It works just fine. I.e., if you

    mpirun --mca btl_tcp_if_exclude lo,virbr0 ...

That works like a champ.

But per Ralph's question, I don't know how generic that name is. It *seems* to be specific to a virtualization interface (I assume "virbr" = "virtual bridge"), but I can't say that for sure.

> So this brings me to something that has annoyed me for a bit. It seems to me that maybe it would be nice to have a conf file that you can dump interface names to exclude but would not be interpreted as a btl_tcp_if_exclude options. For example there were some interfaces on certain Sun machine (a long time ago) that went to the diagnostic processor and caused a similar issue as the virbr0 issue. So we started delivering a conf file that set btl_tcp_if_exclude but then this precluded anyone from being able to set btl_tcp_if_include. If we had a file one could specify the set of interfaces to use or exclude but allow the user to operate on the result of that set it seems that would be nice.

I'm not sure what you're saying. CLI always overrides config files...?

For corporate legal information go to: