Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.4.5rc5 has been released
From: TERRY DONTJE (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-08 09:57:25

On 2/7/2012 9:57 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:

> On 2/7/2012 2:37 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
>>
>> + "make check" fails atomics tests using GCCFSS-4.0.4 compilers on
>> Solaris10/SPARC
>> Originally reported in:
>> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2012/01/10234.php
>> This is a matter of the Sun/Oracle fork of GCC (known as GCC For
>> SPARC Systems, or GCCFSS) being buggy with respect to GNU inline asm.
>> The original failures were with gccfss-4.0.4, but am now retested
>> with gccfss-4.3.3.
>> I'll report on those results later.
>
> Use of gccfss-4.3.3 is not an improvement.
> Instead of failing the atomic_cmpset test, the compiler HANGS when
> compiling atomic_cmpset.c.
> I allowed the compiler just over 4 hours accumulated CPU time before
> being convinced it was hung.
>
> So, I'd like to request documenting "gccfss" as unusable in README.
> This is important because this broken compiler is installed as
> /usr/bin/gcc on some Solaris systems.

Ugh. Isn't there a configure option to not use inline asm (looks like
no to me)? I'll have to see if Oracle has a bug on this but I think
Paul is right that this should be documented in the README. I'll do it
in conjunction with the 64 bit /lib issue once Paul confirms my suspicions.

--td
> -Paul

Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803