Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.4.5rc5 has been released
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-07 21:57:00

On 2/7/2012 2:37 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:

> + "make check" fails atomics tests using GCCFSS-4.0.4 compilers on
> Solaris10/SPARC
> Originally reported in:
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2012/01/10234.php
> This is a matter of the Sun/Oracle fork of GCC (known as GCC For SPARC
> Systems, or GCCFSS) being buggy with respect to GNU inline asm.
> The original failures were with gccfss-4.0.4, but am now retested with
> gccfss-4.3.3.
> I'll report on those results later.

Use of gccfss-4.3.3 is not an improvement.
Instead of failing the atomic_cmpset test, the compiler HANGS when
compiling atomic_cmpset.c.
I allowed the compiler just over 4 hours accumulated CPU time before
being convinced it was hung.

So, I'd like to request documenting "gccfss" as unusable in README.
This is important because this broken compiler is installed as
/usr/bin/gcc on some Solaris systems.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group