Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] MPI-3: MPI_GET_LIBRARY_VERSION
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-03 10:10:04

On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:

> What's the jsquyres_at_svby-mpi063 tag for? It seems odd to have it there in
> a release tarball, at least as presented. Having the version number
> earlier seems like a good idea...

It's just username_at_hostname (my `hostname` doesn't return a domain name for uninteresting reasons). FWIW, this is the same string that has been reported in ompi_info for a while now. I believe the intent was that you could see the username of who built Open MPI / know who to blame if it was configured/built/installed incorrectly. :-)

----
[7:08] svbu-mpi:~ % ompi_info | head
                 Package: Open MPI jsquyres_at_svbu-mpi Distribution
                Open MPI: 1.7a1r25861
  Open MPI repo revision: r25861
   Open MPI release date: Unreleased developer copy
                Open RTE: 1.7a1r25861
  Open RTE repo revision: r25861
   Open RTE release date: Unreleased developer copy
                    OPAL: 1.7a1r25861
      OPAL repo revision: r25861
       OPAL release date: Unreleased developer copy
-----
> Brian
>
> On 2/2/12 5:01 PM, "Jeff Squyres" <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I just committed in https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/25860
>> the new MPI-3 function MPI_GET_LIBRARY_VERSION (it's been voted in to
>> MPI-3).
>>
>> Below shows what the string will return in various types of Open MPI
>> distributions.  Suggestions are welcome to change the content (i.e., feel
>> free to edit ompi/mpi/c/get_library_version.c :-) ).  The intent is that
>> users can submit this string to us with bug reports, etc.  It's a good
>> way to ensure that the version of OMPI that you're running with is the
>> version that you actually think you're running (e.g., if you have your
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH set wrong).
>>
>> FWIW: this function isn't as valuable to Open MPI as it is to other MPI
>> implementations (e.g., those that don't have an ompi_info-type of tool).
>>
>> -----
>>
>> Developer checkout:
>>
>> Open MPI v1.7a1, package: Open MPI jsquyres_at_svbu-mpi063 Distribution,
>> ident: 1.7a1r12345, repo rev: r12345, Unreleased developer copy
>>
>> make dist from developer checkout:
>>
>> Open MPI v1.7a1, package: Open MPI jsquyres_at_svbu-mpi063 Distribution,
>> ident: 1.7a1, Unreleased developer copy
>>
>> Greek tarball:
>>
>> Open MPI v1.7a1, package: Open MPI jsquyres_at_svbu-mpi063 Distribution,
>> ident: 1.7a1, repo rev: rexported, Feb 02, 2012
>>
>> Release tarball:
>>
>> Open MPI v1.7, package: Open MPI jsquyres_at_svbu-mpi063 Distribution,
>> ident: 1.7, repo rev: rexported, Feb 02, 2012
>>
>> Nightly tarball:
>>
>> Open MPI v1.7a1, package: Open MPI jsquyres_at_svbu-mpi063 Distribution,
>> ident: 1.7a1r12345, repo rev: r12345, Unreleased developer copy
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> jsquyres_at_[hidden]

>  Brian W. Barrett