Subject: [OMPI devel] 1.4.5rc4 may still require GNU Make
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-31 16:26:58

Sorry to do this, but I've got another one:

I was looking over my reports against 1.5.5rc1 and came across:
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2011/12/10184.php
In which "make clean" can fail on systems (mostly BSD) where make != gmake.

The issue is that $(RM) is defined by GNU Make but not other make versions.
While the instances I reported in VT for 1.5.5rc1 are not present in
1.4.5rc4, the ompi_info one is:
> $ find openmpi-1.4.5rc4 -name Makefile.am | xargs grep -w RM
> openmpi-1.4.5rc4/ompi/tools/ompi_info/Makefile.am: test -z
> "$(OMPI_CXX_TEMPLATE_REPOSITORY)" || $(RM) -rf
> $(OMPI_CXX_TEMPLATE_REPOSITORY)
Note that this will only be a problem if OMPI_CXX_TEMPLATE_REPOSITORY is
non-empty, which doesn't appear to be the case on the few BSD systems I
examined just now.

I think the fix is just "$(RM)" -> "rm", since bare "rm" is used pretty
widely in other Makefile.am's.

I plan to add "make clean" to my testing criteria for the next RC that
comes my way.

-Paul

On 1/31/2012 11:21 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> Hot on the heels of rc3, rc4 is out:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v1.4/
>
> The main differences are the 8 issues that Paul Hargrove mentioned:
>
> Make v1.4 configure fail on OS X 10.3 and earlier
>
> Fix opal/util/path.c for Linux with old compilers
>
> README updates for the Sun compilers
>
> README updates noting systems that are no longer supported
>
> Fix assembly generation code on BSD in v1.4

Future Technologies Group