Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.4.5rc2 now released
From: TERRY DONTJE (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-20 07:13:05

On 1/19/2012 5:22 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:
> Minor documentation nit, which might apply to the 1.5 branch as well
> (didn't check).
>
> README says:
>> - Open MPI does not support the Sparc v8 CPU target, which is the
>> default on Sun Solaris. The v8plus (32 bit) or v9 (64 bit)
>> targets must be used to build Open MPI on Solaris. This can be
>> done by including a flag in CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, FFLAGS, and FCFLAGS,
>> -xarch=v8plus for the Sun compilers, -mcpu=v9 for GCC.
>
> However, following that instruction w/ Sun Studio 12 Update 2 yields:
>> cc: Warning: -xarch=v8plus is deprecated, use -m32 -xarch=sparc instead
> for every single compilation.
>
> I vaguely recall noting this once before, perhaps 2 years or so.
>
> Additionally, it appears that the "Sun" example is for the 32-bit ABI
> and the "GCC" example for the 64-bit ABI.
Actually I think the whole comment is incorrect (at least from Solaris
Studio 12u2 on) in that the default is no longer SPARC v8 target and
that one can actually specify just -m32 and -m64 without the -xarch
option. So I wonder if we should just strike that whole block of text
from the README.

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture