Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] autogen.sh generates broken configure on FreeBSD-8.2
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-21 18:28:01

The problem I see is because FreeBSD-8.2 provides a NEW autotools suite
w/ an intentionally ANCIENT config.guess.
There is nothing wrong with any of Open MPI's config.foo as packaged in
the tarball.

I can work just fine by re-extracting config.guess and config.sub from
the tarball after running autogen.sh:
    $ ./autogen.sh && (cd .. && tar xfj openmpi-1.5.5rc1.tar.bz2
'*/config.guess' '*/config.sub')
So, that is my work-around.

It is NOT something I want you to fret over, but you should be aware
that while autogen.sh does enforce minimum versions on autoconf,
automake and libtool, it is NOT doing anything to ensure a
correspondingly recent config.guess and config.sub. I merely wanted to
suggest that if it did so then I would have been alerted before the
problem occurred.

Oh, and yes you DO need to re-run autogen after editing a Makefile.am IF
your automake is not the same version used by autogen.sh when the
tarball was built - a situation most developers don't encounter because
you don't start from the tarball as I did. Otherwise, make sees the
changed Makefile.am and tries tries to run "[...]/config/missing --run
automake-1.11 [args]" which doesn't work if your automake executable
isn't automake-1.11. Of course you just need to autogen.sh once to
"adapt" to the local automake version. After that initial run, I agree
w/ Jeff that Makefile.am edits don't require running autogen.sh.

-Paul

On 12/21/2011 7:13 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> Don't need to re-run autogen if you edit a make file.am.
>
> To avoid older config.foo files, you might be able to edit configur directly, or upgrade Autotools...? I am specifically wondering if the config.guess issues you ran into are from te results that we return from our config.foo files or the ones from your Autotools.
>
> Sent from my phone. No type good.
>
> On Dec 21, 2011, at 8:41 AM, "Paul H. Hargrove"<PHHargrove_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I only ran autogen after I had edited a Makefile.am or a .m4 file.
>>
>> -Paul
>>
>> On 12/21/2011 4:58 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
>>> Paul -
>>>
>>> Are you running autogen from the tarballs in your testing? You probably shouldn't - we have users just run configure and make. We also bootstrap the tarballs w the most recent config.sub and .guess (i.e., more recent than what comes w the most recent Autotools).
>> --
>> Paul H. Hargrove PHHargrove_at_[hidden]
>> Future Technologies Group
>> HPC Research Department Tel: +1-510-495-2352
>> Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Fax: +1-510-486-6900

Future Technologies Group