Subject: [OMPI devel] autogen.sh generates broken configure on FreeBSD-8.2
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-20 21:55:00

While dealing w/ GNU-vs-Berkeley Make issues, mentioned in passing that
I wasn't able to autogen on my FreeBSD tester because the resulting
configure failed. The specific failure I encountered was:
> configure: error: No atomic primitives available for
> amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2

The problem boils down to the difference in the following:

> $ /usr/local/share/autoconf-2.68/config.guess
> amd64-unknown-freebsd8.2
> $ openmpi-1.5.5rc1/config/config.guess
> x86_64-unknown-freebsd8.2

These differ in the arch identifier, which then causes (at least)
opal/config/opal_config_asm.m4 to decide there is no atomics support for
the (unknown) architecture. The included hwloc also appears unhappy w/
arch=amd64, but at least that is non-fatal. I cannot (yet?) say what
else is broken due to this disagreement in system tuple. I can say that
adding "|amd64-*" in the appropriate spot in
opal/config/opal_config_asm.m4 is sufficient to get past the configure
failure.

The basic problem is that this system's config.guess is ancient
(timestamp='2003-07-02') despite the recent autoconf-2.68.
I suggest that autogen.sh should include logic to keep the NEWER of the
config/config.guess and the one that "automake --copy" wishes to install.

While looking into this I also noted something "odd" in autogen.sh:
Why is ompi_autoconf_version="2.59" when there is ALSO a check for 2.60
or later?

Note that I don't think this is worth fixing for 1.5.5.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group