Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Rename "vader" BTL to "xpmem"
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-17 12:10:30

As an infrequent contributor, my opinion may not carry much weight, but
I offer it anyway:

I don't like the name Vader and would prefer xpmem.
However, my position on the CHANGE is best given by:
     I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it.
         --Evelyn Beatrice Hall, though commonly misattributed to Voltaire

-Paul

On 11/17/2011 8:48 AM, Shamis, Pavel wrote:
> +1, If Nathan don't mind to change the name, then it's ok.
>
> Pavel (Pasha) Shamis
> ---
> Application Performance Tools Group
> Computer Science and Math Division
> Oak Ridge National Laboratory
>

> On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/11 6:29 AM, "Ralph Castain"<rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Frankly, the only vote that counts is Nathan's - it's his btl, and we
>>> have never forcibly made someone rename their component. I would suggest
>>> we not set that precedent. I'm comfortable with whatever he decides to
>>> call it.
>> I have no objection to a rename, but agree with Ralph that this seems like
>> the sort of thing that should be handled by asking Nathan first (which
>> Jeff may have done, who knows). Naming arguments are always painful and
>> we've largely avoided them. I'd hate to start with a situation where we
>> don't talk to the original author of the code first.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> Brian W. Barrett
>> Dept. 1423: Scalable System Software