Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] debugger confusion
From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-08 10:25:47

On Nov 8, 2011, at 07:52 , Jeff Squyres wrote:

> To be clear: that document simply standardizes what MPI implementations are supposed to provide in their MPIR implementation (prior to this, MPI implementations tended to have subtle differences between their MPIR implementations, which were a nightmare for the debugger/tool vendors). This document does *not* fix the scalability and other well-known issues with MPIR -- it just consolidates and standardizes the slightly-different versions of MPIR that were floating around out there.

However, based on what we have in the trunk today, Open MPI doesn't follow that document. As Ralph pinpointed it, the current version work with several tools (tv, stat, padb) as is, so that means the tools do not really follow that document either. What a mess …

All the time we spent in the MPI Forum talking about the MPIR interface, and look at the result !

  george.