Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Open MPI + HWLOC + Static build issue
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-03 20:24:47

On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:58 PM, Shamis, Pavel wrote:

> 1. We do not have libnuma.a in our setup. So if you want to reproduce the problem, I would suggest to move it to some .bk.

I don't have it, either.

> 2. Build open mpi
> ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
> --with-wrapper-ldflags=-static --disable-dlopen --enable-contrib-no-build=vt
> and
> make -j 8 orted_LDFLAGS=-all-static all
>
> 3. Open MPI compilation fails in orte. Hwloc adds -lnuma to list of libs, as result when orted links the static binary it fails to find
> Static version of libnuma and wits with error.

I think the issue is what I posted earlier today: you're telling configure one thing and then telling make another. I.e., you're passing in different LDFLAGS to configure and make. That seems like a Bad Idea.

Brice pointed out to me that -all-static is a libtool flag. I don't know of any way to pass in specific flags to libtool other than what you did, but consider that libtool is not used for the majority of compiler/linker tests in configure. So I don't think passing a Libtool flag in via LDFLAGS to make is going to do what you want.

Libtool's -all-static flag probably resolves to some gcc flag(s), right? Can you just pass those in via CFLAGS / LDFLAGS to configure and then not pass anything in via make?

For corporate legal information go to: