Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Open MPI + HWLOC + Static build issue
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-03 10:34:07

Pasha --

I'm having trouble reproducing this. My system (RHEL5) has libnuma.so and no libnuma.a, but when I configure with:

    ./configure --disable-shared --enable-static ...

Everything works fine.

hwloc doesn't specifically look for libnuma.a or libnuma.so -- it just tries to link with -lnuma. If that works, then it rules that we have libnuma support.

Can you send more details on exactly what is failing, and how you make that happen?

On Jul 25, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Shamis, Pavel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to compile Open MPI (trunk) static version with hwloc, the last is enabled by default in trunk.
> The build platform is AMD machine, that has dynamic libnuma version only.
>
> Problem:
> Open MPI fails to link orted, because it can't find static version of libnuma.
>
> Workaround:
> add --without-hwloc
>
> Real solution:
> Is it a way to keep hwloc enabled when static libnuma isn't presented on the system ? If it's a such way, I would like to know how to enable it.
> Otherwise, I think configure script should handle such scenario, it means disable hwloc and enable some other alternative.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pavel (Pasha) Shamis
> ---
> Application Performance Tools Group