Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] "The MPI_Init() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked."
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-02 09:06:23

Thanks for the bug report. We should probably cleanup the reporting of
this type of error. I think someone was looking into the "*** The
MPI_Init() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked." issue
since it came up in a different bug report.

But I'll file a ticket on this so when we get back into the code we
can try to address it.

Thanks,
Josh

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Paul H. Hargrove <PHHargrove_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The output below resulted from an attempt to start a job w/checkpoint
> support when the BLCR kernel modules were not loaded on then node ("pilot
> error").  The mistake is mine, but I am reporting this because there appears
> to be more going on in the output than probable should be -  the following 2
> lines in particular struck me as almost humorous, but clearly incorrect:
>
> *** The MPI_Init() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
> *** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
>
> Below is the command and full output.  This is OMPI-1.5.3 on Linux/x86.
>
> -Paul
>
> $ mpirun --prefix $HOME/obj-pcp-j/cr_mpirun-j-5+6/INSTALL -host pcp-j-6
> --mca btl ^openib -am ft-enable-cr -np 1 ./ring
> It looks like opal_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
> likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
> fail during opal_init; some of which are due to configuration or
> environment problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure;
> here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
> Open MPI developer):
>
>  opal_cr_init() failed failed
>  --> Returned value -1 instead of OPAL_SUCCESS
> [pcp-j-6:29247] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Error in file
> ../../../openmpi-1.5.3/orte/runtime/orte_init.c at line 79
> *** The MPI_Init() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
> *** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
> *** Your MPI job will now abort.
> [pcp-j-6:29247] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
> guarantee that all other processes were killed!
> It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your parallel process is
> likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
> fail during MPI_INIT; some of which are due to configuration or environment
> problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure; here's some
> additional information (which may only be relevant to an Open MPI
> developer):
>
>  ompi_mpi_init: orte_init failed
>  --> Returned "Error" (-1) instead of "Success" (0)
> mpirun noticed that the job aborted, but has no info as to the process
> that caused that situation.

> Paul H. Hargrove                          PHHargrove_at_[hidden]
> Future Technologies Group
> HPC Research Department                   Tel: +1-510-495-2352
> Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory     Fax: +1-510-486-6900

Joshua Hursey
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
http://users.nccs.gov/~jjhursey